Debian GNU/Linux is a free operating system with a focus on stability. It's based on a sophisticated package management system that lets you choose from three releases of varying stability. The software packages included in the stable release have been tested thoroughly and are ideal for a server environment, whereas testing and unstable releases have more recent versions of software which usually contain some bugs. Ironically, Debian's unstable release is often more stable than many other distributions' final releases.
Zoneminder is now in Debian "unstable" (as of 2007-03-12) so you should be able to just "apt-get install zoneminder" if you include "unstable" packages. Alternately:
- Debian 3.1 + Zoneminder 1.22.x Installation Guide (ZM from source - without ffmpeg) using stable packages
- Debian + ZM Installation Guide (using a debian ZM package requiring unstable ffmpeg/libavcodec2/liblame0)
- Debian Etch + ZoneMinder 1.23.x in French Installation Guide for Debian in French.
You can also use the following guide to install Zoneminder from source in a Debian Lenny based machine. The guide is in spanish and the repositories used are from Chile. If you want to, just use the ones of your country in your sources.list file:
- Debian 6 Squeeze 64-bit with ZoneMinder 1.25.0 Preview, FFmpeg, libjpeg-turbo, Webmin, Cambozola(Spanish Diciembre 2011)
/etc/init.d/zm script - slightly modified from the original to correctly echo output on debian
- ./configure --with-mysql=/usr
- --with-cgidir=/var/www/cgi-bin --sysconfdir=/etc
- --with-webgroup=www-data CPPFLAGS="-I /usr/local/ssl/include -I /usr/local/lib"
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6261 Insert non-formatted text here
With a large number of cameras (or just a few HD cameras) you may also need to increase the size of /run (tmpfs). Editing /etc/sysctl.conf is no longer enough.
The easiest way to do this is to add the following line to /etc/fstab (where 50% is the size of /run in regards to your physical memory)
tmpfs /run tmpfs nodev,nosuid,size=50%,mode=755 0 0