View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Saving videos to NFS 

Post Saving videos to NFS
I'm running ZM on a VM hosted on WHS - WHS has a large drive that I'd like ZM to use for storing all recordings, so I set up an NFS -- I can access it via File Browser with:
smb:192.168.1.50/sharename/

But I can't figure out how to access the folder via terminal. Is there a better way to do this?

* Note: I cannot just share the HDD via VMWare because it's not a linux drive (leastaways, that's what I think the problem is)

Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:09 pm
Profile ICQ

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.50/sharename /mnt/smbfs -o user=username,password=password

Then look in /mnt/smbfs

Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:30 pm

mkdir /mnt/smbfs
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.50/sharename /mnt/smbfs -o user=username,password=password

Then look in /mnt/smbfs

Awesome! That did work, mostly - I now have the mount in that folder, all visible, but I don't have write access to it for some reason. I've even included the -w flag, but to no avail.

Any ideas how I can mount with read/write permissions? Again, using smb://192.168.1.50/share works perfect -- has read/write, just can't access it except through file browser

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:19 am
Profile ICQ

This is the guide I used to set up the NFS:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/12 ... fs-in-whs/

Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:20 am
Profile ICQ

I was able to link the HDD directly to Ubuntu using the fstab, but the changes seem to be local (not adding to the HDD, just a cache of the structure or something) so that's not working. If anyone can help me get Ubuntu correctly hooked up to an NFS, I'd really appreciate it.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:33 pm
Profile ICQ

Mount the smbfs (for the record, you're mounting smbfs with url you've been using, not an nfs) by putting this in your fstab.

Code:
//server/share /mnt/nameme smbfs credentials=/etc/credentials,uid=www-data,gid=www-data,fmask=0770,dmask=0770 0 0

credentials file should include two lines
Code:
username=insertusernamehere
password=insertpasswordhere

Once that's in the fstab, a "sudo mount /mnt/nameme" should work, and/or it'll come up on reboot.

I'm not sure how vmware deals with shares, as I've been converted to VirtualBox for a while, but VirtualBox works much faster if you use the guest additions and make the host shares accessible to the guest under a different name.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:07 pm

The only hiccup I had after that was having to 'chown' the symlink from root to www-data.

Thanks again!

Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:43 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]